Many people often wonder what they can do to combine their passion and skill together in order to to reach peak productivity. Often, keeping up with the right attitude and the right actions seem like a mirage when you’re looking for a solution. In this post, we’re going to look at a simple secret that may help you boost your productivity.
You’re Not Alone in Your Lack of Focus
“I planned to spend an hour drafting the proposal, but I couldn’t stay focused after 20 minutes,” said a business owner who wants to improve their productivity. This sentence identifies a common problem that many people around the world, including business owners, have: a lack of focus. The good news is that you’re certainly not alone.
Of course, the concept of improving productivity has become a bit of a buzzword over the last few years. There’s good reason for it. Don’t we all want to get as much of the business pie as we can reasonably handle? Don’t we all want to get more done?
To be honest, the pressure that comes with managing a family or relationship on top of professional responsibilities has a tremendous effect on the productivity of people all over the world. Apart from this, economic problems have a huge telling effect on one’s performances daily. In 2017, Bank of America revealed that about 30% of employees are so stressed about finances that it interrupts their focus and productivity. Health challenges also have the potential to stunt the productivity of employees and business owners. It becomes practically impossible to be as productive as usual if you’re simply not well. And it doesn’t matter if it’s a simple virus going around the office or your child’s school or if you’re struggling with a chronic illness.
Procrastination Is Another Serious Issue
Procrastination is also a habit that massively distorts productivity. Everyone, at least at some point, procrastinates. There’s a funny saying about procrastination. Procrastination is betting that your future self won’t be as lazy (or busy) as your current self.
What really separates highly successful people from the rest of the pack is their level of productivity. Productivity, obviously, comes from taking action as opposed to procrastinating. While others worry about the challenges and excuses holding them back from being productive, highly successful people often time seek out the most efficient techniques that help them become more productive. They use that technique and take conscious action.
There Are Many Productivity Techniques to Choose From
There are many productivity techniques which make successful people to massively boost their productivity. When you learn these techniques, you are also bound to become highly productive in your endeavors.
One of the simplest techniques of highly productive people is known as the Pomodoro technique. It’s a incredibly effective and not well-known by many (which is why we called it a “simple secret” in the title!).
What Is the Pomodoro Technique?
The Pomodoro technique a productivity technique that was invented by Francesco Cirillo in 1980. ‘Pomodoro’ is the Italian word for ‘tomato.’ The technique involves breaking down work into 25 minute intervals with short breaks between each interval. There are even tomato-shaped timers that you can buy and use. You can also just use a timer on your phone (if using your phone in this way won’t distract you), an egg timer, or whatever kind of timer you have.
The purpose of the Pomodoro technique is to help people maintain their focus on particular tasks and help them get re-energized to complete whatever they have set out to do. The concept of this technique has been adapted by individuals, businesses, and organizations. If you are seeking a technique that can help you complete tasks effectively and that isn’t overly complicated, then this technique is definitely for you.
Here’s how you can use the Pomodoro technique:
- Create a list of tasks you need to complete.
- Get out your timer and set it for 25 minutes.
- Ready to work? Start the timer immediately begin to work. Don’t work on anything else but that one task during this time. Don’t check your phone, read your email, or check your social media notifications.
- Don’t stop working for the next 25 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, the 25 minute interval is over.
- Take a break for the next 5 minutes. You’ve now completed one Pomodoro cycle.
- Repeat the process all over again after your break is over.
- When you complete four Pomodoro intervals, take a 15-20 minute break to refresh your brain.
- Congratulations! After completing this process, you will feel energized, re-focused, and ready to complete the rest of the tasks on your list.
The Pomodoro technique remains one of the most effective secrets that will help you boost your productivity on a daily basis.
What Are the Benefits of Using the Pomodoro Technique?
How can such a simple technique work so well? Overall, it’s about breaking down a task into more manageable time periods. The Pomodoro technique has several benefits, too.
- Improves your motivation. When you use the Pomodoro technique, you begin to feel motivated to finish up your tasks for the day. The thrill of trying to keep on working on your task or project for the next 25 minutes keeps you more focused. After all, no one likes to be beaten by just a timer.
- Decreases body pain and fatigue. Like mentioned earlier, health challenges are one of the major factors that impacts productivity. Use the short breaks to get up from your desk and stretch your body. As simple as it seems, it helps your body function at an optimal level.
- Improves your accountability. Many people struggle with being productive because they are unable to account for how they spend their time. Hence, productivity becomes a mirage to them. They stay busy instead of being productive. Using Pomodoro can help you to become highly productive because you can track how you spend your time using the timer. You will also be able to further keep tabs on your projects and how much time is needed to complete them.
- Take charge of distractions. With the Pomodoro technique, you learn how to manage distractions and focus on the task at hand. During the 25 minutes of work, you are not expected to respond to whatever distractions come your way. With this, you are sure to spend your time only on what really matters.
Need Help Making Your Business More Productive?
With more than 30 years of experience, Clients ARM helps business owners take more control over their time. We provide valuable remote services that help you focus your time on your existing clients and on ensuring that you can give them the results they want. To learn more about how our services can help you, schedule your free consultation!